Friday, April 4, 2014

Biting off more than I can chew: Nerikiri


o I got the wild idea to make nerikiri and shiro-an from scratch as a thank you gift the other day. Word of wisdom for you - if you get this urge, punch yourself in the face. It'll be less trouble and less of a mess. Between mashing beans and cooking water out of the goo and then trying to roll it into some shape, you're going to be spending a few hours on this. YouTube and the internet in general was my teacher and it did as well as it could. But patience is not a strong suit. Neither is general dexterity of my hands. I ended up being able to watch three movies while I boiled, smashed, squeezed, and rolled my sticky mess. I'm not sure if it came out how it was supposed to. It came out as I expected. Acceptable but embarrassingly bad.

Now all that complaining aside,
  • Did I have fun? Yes.
  • Would I do it again? Not by myself. 
  • Would I do it with friends or in a workshop? In a heartbeat. 
  • Was it well received and appreciated? I think so. 
  • Was it worth it? Definitely.

No comments:

Post a Comment